Shawn Dominy - Criminal Defense Attorney And DUI / OVI Defense Lawyer In Columbus, Ohio
Shawn Dominy is the founding attorney of the Dominy Law Firm, located in Columbus, Ohio. He helps clients charged with DUI / OVI, criminal offenses, and serious vehicular crimes like vehicular homicide and vehicular assault. This page of the website is designed to give you more background information about about Shawn Dominy.
Shawn Dominy is named in the Super Lawyers® list for Ohio, a list which recognizes only 5% of exceptional lawyers in each state. Mr. Dominy was named by Super Lawyers® as one of the top 50 lawyers in Columbus, a city with over 8,000 lawyers. Shawn Dominy received the highest possible rating (AV-Preeminent®) for ethical standards and professional ability from the national Martindale-Hubbell legal directory. He was selected for the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers organization and named a Top Lawyer by Columbus CEO Magazine. In addition, he holds a 10.0 rating on a scale of 1.0 to 10.0 from Avvo.com, and he is also the recipient of Avvo's Client Choice Award.
Shawn Dominy grew up in central Ohio and attended Olentangy Schools. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1993 from The Ohio State University, where he studied criminology and political science. He graduated from The O.S.U. Moritz College of Law in 1997 and scored in the top five percent on Ohio's bar exam.
During law school, Shawn Dominy worked for a Columbus attorney with a practice focused on criminal defense and DUI / OVI defense. After graduating from law school in 1997, he formed a partnership with that attorney. In 1999, Shawn Dominy established the Dominy Law Firm, focusing on DUI/OVI defense and criminal defense. He has represented thousands of clients charged with DUI/OVI and criminal offenses, and his cases have ranged from speeding tickets to murder indictments, and everything in between. In 2002, he began proactively developing expertise in the area of DUI/OVI defense. Shawn Dominy has taken dozens of cases through suppression hearings and jury trials, and he has obtained a lot of favorable results, as you can see on the 'Case Results' page. Although he does not currently handle appeals, he has in the past represented clients in Ohio appellate Courts and the federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Formal education at law school should be the beginning, not the end, of an attorney's training. To achieve expertise in an area of law, ongoing education is crucial. Shawn Dominy regularly participates in national seminars on the topics of DUI/OVI and criminal law, and he frequently speaks at seminars where he teaches other Ohio attorneys about DUI/OVI. Shawn Dominy's training specific to Ohio DUI/OVI includes the following:
- D.W.I. Means Defend With Integrity, National College for D.U.I. Defense, Annually (2005-present)
- DWI Detection And Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Internsational Association Of Chiefs Of Police (IACP), 2005.
- Basic Science of Evidential Breath Alcohol Testing and BAC DataMaster, National Patent Analytical Systems, 2007
- Summer Session at Harvard University, National College for D.U.I. Defense, 2007
- Speak Like A Leader, Homoly Communications Institute, 2009
- Winter Session at Atlantis, National College for D.U.I. Defense, 2009
- Blood & Urine Testing Using Gas Chromatography, Lyons & Lyons, 2010
- Intoxilyzer 8000, Zager Forensics, 2011
- Summer Session at Harvard University, National College for D.U.I. Defense, 2012
- Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the International Association Of Chiefs Of Police (IACP), 2014
- Forensic Gas Chromatography, American Chemical Society, 2015
- Summer Session at Harvard University, National College for D.U.I. Defense, 2017
For evidence of Shawn Dominy's training and experience specific to Ohio DUI/OVI defense, please see the 'Certifications' page.
Shawn Dominy is the President-Elect of the Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and also serves as the co-chair of that organization's OVI Seminar Committee. He is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the National College for DUI Defense, and a founding member of the national DUI Defense Lawyers Association. Shawn Dominy is also a member of the Ohio Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association (former chair of the Criminal Law Committee), and the Delaware County Bar Association. In addition, he is a member of the Central Ohio Better Business Bureau (A+ rating) and the Powell Area Chamber Of Commerce.
- 50 Ways To Leave Your A.L.S. Lover, O.S.B.A., 2018
- The Blackout Defense In OVI Cases, O.A.C.D.L., 2018
- O.V.I. Update, C.O.A.C.D.L., 2017
- Annie's Law, Mayor's Court Training, O.M.L., 2017
- Trial Skills Instructor, D.U.I.D.L.A., Charleston, SC, 2017
- Trial Skills Academy Instructor, O.A.C.D.L., 2017
- The Impact Of The Birchfield Decision, O.S.B.A., 2016
- The Impact Of The Birchfield Decision, C.B.A., 2016
- Trial Skills Academy Instructor, O.A.C.D.L., 2016
- ABCs of Addressing Belated Charges, O.A.C.D.L., 2016
- Are Ohio OVI Marijuana Laws Constitutional, O.S.B.A., 2015
- Are Ohio OVI Marijuana Laws Constitutional, C.B.A., 2015
- Trial Skills Academy Instructor, O.A.C.D.L., 2015
- Hunting For Treasure In ODH Manuals, O.A.C.D.L., 2015
- Presenting A GERD Defense, C.B.A., 2014
- Trial Skills Academy Instructor, O.A.C.D.L., 2014
- The Lancaster Case In Marietta, O.A.C.D.L., 2014
- The Intoxilyzer 8000 Is Struck Down Again, O.S.B.A., 2013
- State v Lancaster May Affect Ohio Breath Testing, C.B.A., 2013
- OVI In Juvenile Court, C.B.A., 2013
- Trial Skills Academy Instructor, O.A.C.D.L., 2013
- Field Sobriety Testing Studies & How To Use Them, O.A.C.D.L., 2013
- Intoxilyzer 8000 Trends And Issues, O.A.C.D.L., 2013
- The NHTSA Manual Isn't Just Valuable At Trial, C.B.A., 2012
- Things You May Not Know About The NHTSA Manual, O.S.B.A., 2012
- Trial Skills Workshop Instructor, O.A.C.D.L., 2012
- Don't Get Bullied, C.B.A., 20111
- Rule 16 In OVI Cases, O.S.B.A., 2011
- Role Of Defense Attorney In Sex Cases, ONG V.A. Training, 2011
- Strategies In Defending D.U.I. Cases, Lorman, 2011
- Motions In OVI Cases, O.A.C.D.L., 2011
- Discovery In OVI Cases, Mahoning County Bar Association, 2010
- Discovery In OVI Cases, C.B.A., 2010
- DUI Trial, Lyons & Lyons Mock Trial Seminar, 2010
- S.C.R.A.M., O.A.C.D.L., 2009
- Understanding Breath Testing Machines, C.B.A., 2009
- Detaining Drivers For OVI, O.S.B.A., 2009
- Breath Testing Permits, O.A.C.D.L., 2008
- S.C.R.A.M., Ohio State Bar Association, 2008
- Drugged Driving, C.B.A., 2007
Attorneys with expertise in a certain area of law may or may not be published authors. Shawn Dominy's writings have been published in books, magazines, newspapers, and online articles, including the following:
- I Was Charged With DUI/OVI-Now What?! What You Need To Know Before Going To Court And Before Hiring A Lawyer For DUI/OVI In Ohio, iUniverse Publishing, 2014.
- Defending DUI Vehicular Homicide Cases, Settlement Strategies For DUI Vehicular Homicide Cases chapter, Aspatore Publishing, 2012.
- Terminating The A.L.S. In O.V.I. Cases: The Inherent Power Of The Judiciary, O.A.C.D.L. 'The Vindicator', 2018
- Field Sobriety Tests: What Do They Really Measure?, O.A.C.D.L. 'The Vindicator', 2018
- Annie's Law Aims To Reduce Drunk Driving In Ohio, C.B.A. 'Legal Connections', April, 2017
- Chemical Alcohol Test: An Offer You Can't Refuse?, O.A.C.D.L. 'The Vindicator', 2016
- Operating A Vehicle Under The Influence Of Marijuana, O.S.B.A. Law You Can Use, 2016
- Sobriety Checkpoints Are Constitutional, O.S.B.A. Law You Can Use, 2015
- Drug Trafficking Laws Invoke Serious Consequences, O.S.B.A. Law You Can Use, 2015
- Law Provides Real Consequences For Counterfeit Controlled Substances, O.S.B.A. Law You Can Use, 2015
- Counterfeit Controlled Substances, Akron Legal News, 2009
- Sobriety Checkpoints, Continental News Review, 2009
- Drug Trafficking Laws, Daily Reporter, 2009
- Plea Bargaining In The Wake of Howe, Columbus Bar Lawyers Quarterly, 2007
Shawn Dominy's practice is focused on representing clients charged with DUI / OVI, criminal offenses, and serious vehicular crimes like vehicular homicide and vehicular assault. He does not practice other areas of law and handle an occasional DUI/OVI or criminal case: this is all he does, and he enjoys his work.
From his law office in Columbus, Ohio, Shawn Dominy practices DUI/OVI defense in courts throughout central Ohio, including the following counties: Franklin County, Delaware County, Fairfield County, Knox County, Madison County, Marion County, Morrow County, Pickaway County, and Union County. He practices in Municipal Courts, Common Pleas Courts, and Mayor's Courts.
If you would like more information about the Dominy Law Firm, please see the About Us page. You can also see what clients say and review past case results. If you would like to talk with Shawn Dominy about your DUI/OVI case or criminal case, please submit a CONTACT FORM or call 614-717-1177 to arrange an initial phone consultation at no cost.