Obetz Mayor's Court

Criminal Cases And DUI / OVI Cases In The Obetz Mayor’s Court
For criminal offenses and DUI / OVI offenses in the Obetz Mayor’s Court, it would be a good idea to do some research before going to court and before hiring a criminal defense lawyer.  On this page, you will find information on the Obetz Mayor’s Court. This information can help those who are going to court for a DUI / OVI case or criminal case. 

The particular types of cases are discussed on other pages of this website.  As you do your research, you’ll want to read-up on the crime(s) you’re charged with.  Taking the time to understand more about the system, as well as your offense, will give you a bit more insight and reduce stress. Understanding the law and the court process is not always easy, so you should consider hiring an attorney to answer your questions and to represent you in court.

Contact Info for Obetz Mayor’s Court
Address:  4175 Alum Creek Drive, Obetz, OH 43207
Phone:  614-491-1080
WebsiteObetz Mayor’s Court

Details About The Mayor’s Court
The mayor’s court handles criminal and traffic violations that occur within the jurisdiction of Obetz.  The court does not have jurisdiction over felony offenses;  only misdemeanors.  The court hears misdemeanors filed by the Obetz Police Department and other law enforcement agencies which patrol the area. Some of the common types of cases seen at the court include:

•    Assault
•    Domestic Violence
•    DUI / OVI
•    Drug crimes

Who Are The Officials At The Court?

The judicial officer (the ‘judge’) is actually the mayor of Obetz, but the mayor typically appoints a magistrate to preside in mayor’s court.  The magistrate makes decisions about legal issues, decides whether defendants are guilty, and imposes sentences for those who are guilty.  The prosecuting attorney represents the village of Obetz and prosecutes defendants for violations of the law.  The Clerk of Court processes and retains court documents and also is responsible for money paid to the court for fines and other costs. In addition, the Clerk communicates with the BMV about convictions, points, and suspensions that might occur as punishment.

Court Appearances In Obetz
If you have a ticket that doesn’t require you to go to court, you can actually pay it through the mail with cashier’s checks or money orders. If you pay in person, you can also use MasterCard and Visa.

For those cases which do require a court appearance, or if you decide to go to court for a minor ticket, Mayor’s Court is held every Wednesday at 5:00 pm.  To get into the court, go to the above address and then enter through the police department entrance. Once you are inside, let them know you are there for mayor’s court, and they can direct you as to where you need to go for court.

Transferring Your Case
You have the right for your case to be in a court of record, and this Mayor’s Court is not one.  That means you have the right to transfer your case from the Mayor’s Court to a municipal court if you prefer. Of course, you want to make sure you understand everything that a transfer entails before you do. If you receive a conviction in the Obetz Mayor’s Court, you can always file an appeal of the conviction (within applicable time limits). Transferring or appealing your case will move your case from the Mayor’s Court to the Franklin County Municipal Court.  You should probably consult with a lawyer before deciding whether to transfer or appeal your case.

Working With A Lawyer In The Obetz Mayor’s Court
If you decide to consult with and hire a lawyer, you’ll want to hire one with expertise in criminal defense.  At the Dominy Law Firm, our attorneys practice only criminal defense, only in central Ohio, and only for a small number of clients.  Feel free to check out our attorneys’ reputations on this site and elsewhere.  Based on our expertise and personal service, our fees are fairly high. To set up a free phone consultation, you can call our firm at 614-717-1177, or you can complete a CONTACT FORM, and we will call you to schedule the appointment.

"Shawn is a wonderful person and an elite attorney. Being represented by him gives you complete peace of mind knowing you are in good hands, with..." M.A.
"Shawn Dominy quickly displayed his expertise in defending OVI cases at a level that made me immediately comfortable in my decision to..." K.G.
"I was looking at a Physical control OVI charge. License suspension, 3 day class, all that. Shawn got it reduced to persistent disorderly conduct. I paid a fine, saw..." Y.E.